My sister showed me a website today that is encouraging people to post positive messages called: thankful for. It asks the question: what are you thankful for today?
Good question. At a time when life is tough for so many, I worry it sounds a little cheesy. BUT when I hear people complaining about what seem to be small issues, I wonder do we need to acknowledge what we do have?
After my initial reaction, I did some quick searching and found that there is a large amount of research in the area of gratitude that suggests people who are more grateful have:
- reported higher levels of well-being
- reported being happier, less depressed and less stressed
- higher levels of control of their environments
- purpose in life
- greater self acceptance
- better ways of coping with life's difficulties
- a lower likelihood of avoiding problems
- better and longer sleep
- less substance abuse
- more altruistic attitudes
- higher empathy
Although I could not help wondering which comes first? i.e. if I sleep better, am I more likely to be grateful and positive? If i have a purpose in life, am I more likely to be grateful about things?
What do you think?
In the meantime: Today, I am grateful for family.






Hi Martin
ReplyDeleteCute photo! :-)
Personally, I believe in thankfulness, even though I have been known to let it take me a LONG while to get to a point of thankfulness (like, years...). Mercifully, I am not in a position right now where I am watching a flood of Biblical proportions sweep through my home, but I, like everyone, have had moments in my life where I have wondered how on earth I could keep going. The LAST thing I have felt like doing is being thankful when it has seemed like the world is falling down round me. However, on downhill slopes, it has been the moment when I've managed to put a glimmer of focus on what I DO have, rather than what I don't, that the slide has slowed and I've trended upwards again.
When the world seems increasingly crazy and stress-creating, I reckon that reflecting on what's still good and hopeful and awesome is one of the greatest free gifts we've got. That doesn't mean we have to spend all day every day pretending there's nothing at all crap in life -that's called denial. It just means that if and when we are able, being thankful says that life can still be good and that we still have a path to tread.
Woah... Is that all too profound for a Wednesday afternoon?!
Claire
A good and very timely post Martin, thanks. Personally it is very encouraging.
ReplyDeleteSo many times in my life when things seem to be dark, gaining a perspective seems to help. Gratitude usually follows, as well as hope that things will once again be good. It is the essence of all that is fine about being human! My heart goes out to the people of Queensland, but I know they have a strong spirit (being Australian and all :-)and will move forward from this disaster.
ReplyDeleteThanks everyone for your feedback and honesty and to Claire for saying nice things about my photo! LOL
ReplyDelete