Image via CrunchBaseLast week I was invited to join Google + which is the social networking app from Google available on the web, iphone and android.If you have a gmail address- it is a cinch to log in. I don't but I did have a google account-that was just as easy! Automatically my blogs were listed on my Google+ page.
Google+ seems to have seven main features:
- A main profile page
- The ability to easily organise friends into groups called "Circles". I have groupings (circles) for friends, family, acquaintances, people following me and work contacts. I love this feature. You can then send and share content with specific people in those circles. Facebook lets you organise people into groups too but Google+ makes it simple.
- Sparks is like Google alerts combined with Google Reader. You select topics you want eg volunteer management, not for profit, trains, aeroplanes. Each topic gets its own sparks page and then thanks to the magic of Google, every time an article, posting or news report appears on the net with that topic, it will appear in my Google plus. I can then share any of that content with one or more individuals or circles. I am thinking I can even set up a circle with all my A380 interested friends in it and share A380 stories with them quickly!
- Photos can be uploaded in the same way as Facebook but sharing is a lot easier. I can easily share photos for a specific group eg niece's christening photos with my family only or pictures from a particular training with people from that training. Yes, you can do it on Facebook but Google+ has made it so much easier.
- Streamlined video chat...this is also cool..its a bit like Skype embedded into your browser
- Huddles....a group messaging video chat..where you can get a group of up to ten friends who are in a circle to chat to each other...if it works well, this could be a great boon in our sector
- The Google+ bar, which appears at the top of everything Google now, lets you add comments about anything you see on the web to your google+ stream (feed). It lets you switch between google documents, photos, calendar and mail.
So all in all, I like Google+ so far BUT I have around 2000 people connected through Facebook page and 543 on my Linked in. Why would I want to start again with this entire site? Well for a start Google has already got me. As I already use a Google blog, Google docs, Google calendar etc, then incorporating Google + is akin to falling off a log. So imagine when all the people with gmail add Google+ to their suites.
I do wish Google had taken that power and enhanced other systems. For example, I would have preferred to have Google add Sparks into Linkedin and Facebook asa feature rather than create a whole new site. To my thinking, if Facebook adds similar things as circles, huddle and sparks then the appeal of Google+ is reduced.
Finally, Google has a bad habit of dumping things that do not takeoff. Look at Google Wave, for example. Great idea but didn't take off because of its complexity. Google+ is much simpler but faces the formidable competition of Facebook. How long will Google allow plus to grow before it pulls the plug. Remember GoogleVideo? Google Catalog search? Google Notebook? Google Mashup?
I do wish Google had taken that power and enhanced other systems. For example, I would have preferred to have Google add Sparks into Linkedin and Facebook asa feature rather than create a whole new site. To my thinking, if Facebook adds similar things as circles, huddle and sparks then the appeal of Google+ is reduced.
Finally, Google has a bad habit of dumping things that do not takeoff. Look at Google Wave, for example. Great idea but didn't take off because of its complexity. Google+ is much simpler but faces the formidable competition of Facebook. How long will Google allow plus to grow before it pulls the plug. Remember GoogleVideo? Google Catalog search? Google Notebook? Google Mashup?
Anyone using it now? What d you think, will it take off?
Want an invite? email me!




Very good simple summary of the features. I think the circles are genius, and find them easier to use than Facebook's lists. One of the things that greatly appeals to me is also the type of sharing that is occurring. G+ is starting out to be much more about content sharing, conversation and collaboration, and less about, as David Seaman calls it, Facebook status solipsistic egomania.
ReplyDeleteI think there will be the diehard Facebookers that will stay on Facebook - I don't see my mother or family going to G+...but, for those who have grown tired of the Facebook scene, the games, the annoying ads, the inability to better manage their community, and the incessant adding of "features" that no one seems to want or like....G+ is a nice alternative.
Check out the Google + Cheat sheet which may help you if you are a new user
ReplyDeletehttp://www.ibtimes.com/articles/178997/20110712/google-update-google-cheat-sheet-google-facebook-mark-zuckerberg-google-releasing-more-invites-hang.htm
I agree Carie re the Circles...I love them. will the games and apps follow us to Google +?
ReplyDeleteHeres a great guide to using Google +
ReplyDeletehttp://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/07/12/google-plus-guide-tips-for-newbies_n_896350.html#s307613&title=Start_By_Finding