twitter
    Find out what I'm doing, Follow Me :)

Friday, October 28, 2011

Friday Facts: Aussie Volunteer Conference Reactions

There are suggestions that the Volunteering Australia conference set to operate in a few weeks has failed to meet target. It is been suggested that there are about 300 attendees compared to 600 last year. True, there may be a rush of last minute attendees but numbers do appear down.

No doubt the very recent change of date and venue, which I have previously blogged about may be a factor. Listening to people, across Australia I am hearing a range of reasons why numbers are down:
  1. The price of close to $950 for a volunteer conference is very high. The mutterings about the cost have now risen to a crescendo. Add to the cost, accommodation which is not included ($250 to $450 depending on how you organise it), airfares $200 to $500, meals (up to $150), transfers etc etc and you are looking at over $2000. By contrast, you could have flown to New Zealand, paid for accommodation,  attended the NZ conference, eaten well and spent half of that
  2. The economy is making not for profits extra careful
  3. The lack of significant or sufficient quality volunteer management workshops or plenaries
  4. The late addition of this conference into a crowded 2011 calendar
  5. What is perceived as the on going disconnect of Volunteering Australia from the rest of the volunteering world in Australia
  6. The poor decision to charge volunteer presenters full fee, even when they are presenting, stopped some from submitting papers
One wants the peak body to succeed and do well. These disappointing numbers at the conference reduce their income from the event and will impact negatively on their ability to provide support for volunteering across the country. Hopefully in reflecting and evaluating, some constructive changes will be made.
Enhanced by Zemanta

33 comments:

  1. as much as i hate to say it - i do agree with Martin. It is disappointing we are seeing a lack of leadership in this area. Simply putting on a conference is not necessarilly showing leadership-particularly when it is so expensive. the conference depends on quality presenters and not providing discounts to them for fees demonstrates a lack of appreciation regarding the amount of time it takes to put something together.
    i went to NZ, had a great time, for half the cost, learned heaps, enjoyed cross cultural communication and hopefully left something worthwhile behind (other than tourist dollars).
    time to smell the roses and put Aussie back in the driving seat of volunteerism

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutely agree also, Martin & Peter. After attending the 2010 conference I emailed through feedback to the organisers which match the points you raise in your blog entry. I would like to see a much more just fee structure that supports the sectors who have the most stake in this national gathering. I also would like to see more engaging, relevant, and challenging content that is useful for return attendees and career volunteer involvers and I would like to see more experiential and participant focused sessions. Come on VA, let's make this conference accessible, engaging, and at the cutting edge.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it's a matter of going to the well too often. There already was a conference last year and presumably there will be another one next year. They would have been better cancelling the last one and putting all their efforts into this one.
    Personally I think national conferences have had their day - they are an unacceptable indulgence when organisations have to account for every dollar.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Having been the Team Leader and Coordinator of Volunteers of thousands of volunteers for the world's largest city based Church and Christian Welfare organisation, during a time of unprecedented growth going from $31M to $50M to $80M to $100M, I attended the first National Volunteers Conference held in Adelaide back in 1988 and organised by various State Volunteer Associations, mainly SA and NSW; and make the following observations and suggestions.

    First, I agree with all the points raised by others and mentioned by Martin in his article.

    Second, I have found that running National Conferences works best if run every second year.
    Perhaps both Volunteering Australia and OZVPM could communicate about running their Conferences every second year and be a focal point and highlight for the Volunteer Sector.

    I know this may hurt income generated by both organisations, but it may free them up to do other work, consultancy and offer other alternatives...

    Third, I look through the programmes and see the same keynote speakers and plenary/workshop speakers; and while I enjoy some speakers and workshop presenters, we need to use others. Oouch! -)

    We have such a rich and diverse Volunteer Community in Australia with some outstanding, personable Volunteer Leaders and Managers, who we could all learn much from various backgrounds. We should be using them, rather than simply asking for presenters but choosing mostly the same ones, thereby spawning an industry and only using certain speakers, both keynote and plenary all the time.

    Yes, we keep ticking boxes and making good comments about these speakers(who should not be asked to pay any fee-zilch, and should not be charged for the Conference but paid for their efforts within a smaller reasonable budget) so that the expenses to put on the Conference is kept to an affordable budget; and all organisations very small, small, medium and large can afford to come together.

    Colin Murdoch
    www.singlesforchrist.org.au

    ReplyDelete
  5. regarding conference, each year since $$ have gone up I have emailed VA to put the case and have been howled down each time however I persist as voices need to be heard albeit in a discounting fashion by phone and email.
    > Cary Pedicini asked if I would be attending VA conference. Said that I had for some years however the $s have become prohibitive. His best offer was for me to apply for grants. Had to sit on my hands as there was a temptation to place hands around his neck. He wasn't listening and had no intention of listening. I said the $s self select who can go so the cohort is not representative of VM nor V nor sector generally etc etc etc. He wouldn't even look at me.

    Sorry to be grumpy however it is very difficult to get a message across to VA. except for a short time VA has seemed in a parallel universe

    ReplyDelete
  6. It certainly seems that the VA conference is missing the mark. The Board and CEO of VA are to take a serious look at what outcomes they wish to achieve and listen the people who attend as to what outcomes they required. Are they matching? If not make a change- bi annual may be the way to go and keep within $ reach of the small nfps who struggle. I am in involved with a large charity and even high donor incomes do not justify my spending of $2000 to attend.Volunteer managers would be happy to stay in a caravan if they had to! As long as they get the value.
    Hope VA get it right soon. We need them to.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is an important post Martin and one I have written about also.

    Last year in Melbourne was the first year I had not attended a VA conference in more than a decade. I made this choice as a protest, based on the prohibitive cost to most organisations that VA proports to represent. I won't be going again this year for the same reason - and I won't be sending any of my staff.

    I keep hearing more and more people telling me that they believe that the national conference has lost its way and that it now only caters to those involved with volunteering in large govt departments, local councils and large organisations like hospitals.

    I know from first hand experience that running any event of this kind is expensive, but I also know that there are choices that can be made to limit those costs.

    Martin and I run the Australasian Retreat each year on a cost recovery basis - that is we have made a deliberate choice to price our event to simply break even - and we have even lost money on occasions ...and while that may not make much business sense, we always do hope that it allows VMs from some smaller agencies to attend, learn and share with others.

    My other big gripe over the past two years has been the decision of conference organisers not to have any exhibit space available for companies like OzVPM to sell VM publications, Volunteer Squared to demonstrate VM databases or even Volunteer Centres to exhibit new books and innovative projects.

    This, to me is and always should be the very heart of a good conference

    I too hope that this situation turns around soon, and if, like Martin suggests in his blog, numbers are down, this may in fact be a catalyst for some change

    Andy Fryar - OzVPM

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks to me like Volunteering Australia needs to grow some ears and listen to peoples concerns. I hope their board gets to read this article from Mr Cowling.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I feel that Volunteering Australia has lost touch with the real world of volunteering. The conference pricing and content is indicative of this.

    ReplyDelete
  10. When any organisation purporting to represent the Volunteer Managers and Volunteers who are making a difference in the community, looses its way, it's time for those within the leadership of the organisation to move on; because it has become "furked!" -)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow....this post has certainly set off some discussions. Great to see the comments. I take the risky step of not moderating the comments which means they are a surprise to me. Especially when I am in a different time zone and wake up to whats happened over night!

    I would Love some more comments. What do others think? Feel free to post anonymously or with your name. Hopefully Volunteering Australia would respond. That would be helpful.

    ReplyDelete
  12. as a follow up to 'Anonymous' from October 31st 12:40pm.
    i would actually dispute that Volunteering Australia has much (if any) regard for Volunteer Managers. I was amazed several years ago at the Gold Coast Conference for the first time Cary actually mentioned the concept of volunteer managers in his closing speech.
    VA has some really great staff who understand the role of volunteer managers. This is not reflected by the organisation as a whole.
    As two writers named Chris Agyris and Donald Schon reflected: there is a significant difference between 'espoused'theory (ie what we say is important) and 'theory in action' (what we actually believe). The latter will always overwhelm the former.
    VA does not believe in the importance of volunteer management - this is reflected in the level of acknowledgement of VM's and the time/effort put into supporting them (eg supporting AAVA now called AAMoV).
    I can't i am writing this post as Australia has been a leader in the volunteer sector for many years.
    I also hate to say it, but more leadership has generally been shown through the local Resource Centres and some State Volunteer Centres than at the National Level.
    Come on guys - we have the ability and the people. Lets lead the world again!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have sent the following email to Volunteering Australia. Will keep you posted regarding their reply.

    In the midst of your busy-ness I think you might need to be aware that I posted on my blog regarding some very of the very strong feelings that I have been hearing about the November Conference across Australia. The link to the blog is here:
    http://tinyurl.com/CowlingReportVAConf

    There has been significant reaction to the post with a very high number of page views -in just three days, two of which were weekend days. I have had a lot of comments- and most of them are frankly negative. NB I don't moderate the comments so people can post their own feelings and thoughts easily. Many of the comments are anonymous which is a little frustrating but I do freely give people this opportunity. I do know who a couple of the anonymous comments because they have also emailed me offline but I do respect their anonymity. You also need to know that I have had a number of comments from people who have chosen not to post because they do

    I have publicly invited Volunteering Australia to add a comment at the blog itself, and I wanted to follow up that invitation via this email. I would love you to post your response. Could help turn things around for you. Or at least get your viewpoint out to a large audience.

    ReplyDelete
  14. As someone working for a small NGO, in a volunteer sense, my employer balked at this cost,even after putting together an official request with cost analysis etc. I was encouraged to attend but at my own cost and I was required to take annual leave. Where this is an issue for me personally, it is seen as the major barrier for me to attend.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I would not be surprised if this original posting, the comments that have been added and either VA's response or lack thereof gets cited in future workshops on organisational behaviour.

    If VA has lost touch with its stakeholders as these comments suggest, it certainly wouldn't be the first organisation to do so nor the last. These things happen.

    What will become case study material is VA's reaction. Some organisations that are given a web 2.0 wakeup call use it as a call to action to turn things around, potentially coming out even stronger in the end. Others keep their head buried in the sand. That can even work for a while but not in the long run.

    I believe that a country benefits from having a strong peak body, where the strength comes in part from the strength of its members. If the issue is as large as it appears by the comments, I truly hope the case study we hear about in the future is how VA used all of this as a catalyst to reconnect with its stakeholders.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Well, i'm glad to see i'm not the only one who has been banging their head against a wall. For the past 4 years every time Vol Aust 'allow' us to participate in their annual survey I suggest better support for VM's. And every year i hear nothing! Obviously I agree with the above comments, although as a health organisation VM we too are outpriced to attend, as we are 'above the line' in the budget, any amount of money spent is scrutinised and $2,000 in real terms would provide way more benefit on the ground with the program, than a 3 day trip to QLD to hear the same speakers talk. As posted already, speakers are good, but the focuss as a VM is missed a bit on me. I have for a long time struggled with the benefit I am supposed to receive from Vol Aust, as my peak body, I would assume greater regular contact regarding updates etc. Even when I questioned the 'pins' that are given out each year - I did not receive a favourable response. Dont get me started on getting the VM role recognised!
    Martin, thanks for this blog!

    ReplyDelete
  17. For small organisations costs is the BIG issue when attending any conference, $2000 would be better spent on education than a conference which you may not get anything from, I have in the past attended conference only to walk away thinking why did I waste my time. Volunteer Managers need support, education and to be kept updated on the changes/ trends and issues.from comments made it seams Vol Aust is more interested in anything but Volunteer Managers, but without them where would Vol Aust be. Its about time this organisation like AAMoV look at show casing the lack of the recognition of the profile of Volunteer Managers and lack of proper wages.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow Martin - are you kicking up a storm?! I hope you will be pushing the boat out a bit, like sending this post and comments to all the corners of ignorance about managing volunteers. Or maybe you will be stimulated to undertake another piece of research to get the hard data. Because it’s not just peak bodies (Volunteering NZ excepted) that overlook the management function when it comes to volunteering.

    The same thing appears to be happening with IMVDay (the Kiwi acronym for IVM Day). You are probably aware of the somewhat urgent tone of messages promoting the occasion, trying to stimulate interest and wondering why everyone is so laid back about it (except in Wellington, NZ). In my blog this week [http://management4volunteers.wordpress.com/2011/10/30/three-cheers-for-managers-of-volunteers/] I resorted to repeating what I wrote last year, which was a re-hash of what I was thinking the year before that, and all the questions that cropped up in the year before that.

    Yes, it is important to direct criticism and concerns to parties when and where it is needed.

    Yet here is the question that keeps hanging for me:
    why have ‘we’, the collective we, the coherent and articulate and knowledgeable and entrepreneurial [add your own adjective] band of managers of volunteers, been unable to make political capital where it matters?

    I could offer a couple of choice Shakespearian quotes (Julius Caesar, Hamlet) as metaphors to answer the question, but we have to get past the posturing. I’d love to hear from you and your readers not just why managers of volunteers are sidelined, but what we can do about it.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Shindig asked:"why have ‘we’, the collective we, the coherent and articulate and knowledgeable and entrepreneurial [add your own adjective] band of managers of volunteers, been unable to make political capital where it matters?"

    My answer would be that after the establishment of State Volunteer Centres, well before Volunteer Australia came along, both State and Federal Governments were keen to encourage, invest $'s and further develop the concept of Volunteerism throughout the Australian Community!

    However, once some of the CEO's and early pioneers of these State Volunteer Centres moved on or retired, those who replaced them saw their positions as "just a job", and did not, in the main, bring a fresh passion, vision, nor have the political nous, to take advantage of many opportunities which arose.

    Lost opportunities to move the volunteer sector forward + no vision=No political capital.

    Yet despite this, Volunteer Managers, their organisations and Volunteers have continued to do outstanding work on a daily basis!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I think Tony Goodrow has hit the nail on the head with his comments.

    I am hoping that Volunteering Australia is considering a thoughtful response and this is taking a little time which is perfectly understandable.

    I can’t see any reason why they wouldn’t especially since Martin has notified them of his article and rightly given them a right of reply.

    In the past I have written to VA and criticized them for their perceived lack of support for International Volunteer Managers Day. They responded to that criticism back then and even though I disagreed with that response I was grateful that they had taken the time to do so.

    I would say to VA that a response from their organisation here would encourage dialogue. I have a sense that people want to engage more.
    True, they may say that they feel they have support of many and that numbers will be strong for the conference and that there is great content and potential dialogue to move the sector forward.

    But there is also a sense amongst many of us that there is a disconnect between VA and the profession of Volunteer management.Nevertheless it is intersting to see that there is no response here from AAVA or whatever they are calling themselves these days!


    So VA - When you don’t visually support IVMD we notice!

    When you are perceived as not believing “ in the importance of volunteer management” and “losing your way” by former board members and Presidents of AAVA as well as a former president of your own organisation - you should take note!

    At least address the perceptions please.

    It’s important to note that the sentiment of many is the desire to have a strong peak body that is forward thinking and strong.

    Winston Churchill once said “criticism may not be agreeable but it is necessary. It fulfills the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things.”

    ReplyDelete
  21. DJ, an official response is coming from AAMoV. They are seeking to use this blog post in some other advocacy work.

    There have been a couple of posts that suggest AAMoV supporters!

    In the meantime, I have had a reply from VA inviting me to a meeting. Not sure what the connection is between my post and a meeting but I will see what we can arrange! In the meantime, I hope they still post a response.

    ReplyDelete
  22. After one week, this post has become my fourth most read post on my blog- ever. At the current rate of page views, it may become my third most read post We have also the most number of comments to a post. All the comments seem supportive of the post. I am yet to get a dissenting view which I of course, welcome.

    Volunteering Australia have responded to my email to them alerting them to this post. In it they suggested I want a meeting to discuss my feedback. They have said "I recommend that you encourage any of your clients, colleagues or associates to contact us directly if they have any comments or feedback that can help us improve our conference service." Presumably public comments are not welcome. Unfortunately, some of the above comments have suggested the direct approach has not worked. I also made it clear in the post above that "Listening to people, across Australia I am hearing a range of reasons why numbers are down". I am merely a messenger on this one folks!

    They also pointed out that "The feedback from our two most recent conferences has been overwhelming positive. International delegates have rated them at world standard. We recognise always there is room for improvement and we will always continue to seek this improvement. Constructive and informed feedback is welcome."

    Blog readers will note that I did not have issue with the conference content -just the cost of this year's conference. Some comments above also suggested that the content does not provide for volunteer managers.

    They have yet to respond officially to this post which some have suggested that they "should". I don't know if they will.

    I do invite the many readers of this Blog Post to make a comment please even if it "I agree" or "I disagree". I think VA need to know the depth of feeling in the sector on this and not assume it is just me having a bad day and stirring up a handful of colleagues! Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I agree with you Martin.

    I would love to be able to attend the conference but there is just no way known my organisation can afford these fees - not even if it was in my home town and I didn't have to pay for accommodation or travel costs on top.

    Let me be clear, I am not asking for a free event, just something within the realms of possibility!

    ReplyDelete
  24. What a terrific topic - it sure has fuelled a lot of debate

    Personally I wonder if conferences across the board are a dying breed and a thing of the past?

    One of the difficulties is that the volunteering sector covers such a broad spectrum. So while $1000 fees may not seem much to those working in well funded NFPs, there are many many more people working in not so well funded organisations.

    So perhaps the question that really needs to be asked is which end of the spectrum is this conference being targeted at ...and is this the right end of the spectrum?

    ReplyDelete
  25. Happy International Managers of Volunteers Day, everyone!!

    Well done, Martin, for putting a topic out there that has fuelled so many reponses... You have obviously cut to the heart of an issue that needs to be aired and deserve credit for taking the initiative in doing so.

    I am actually going to deviate slightly from the topic of VA here, and highlight another issue. Putting it out there and being honest, I confess I tend to avoid blogs on my field of practice, because my experience of them is that they frequently turn into hot-beds of negativity and criticism of peers / peer organisations that we should actually be seeking to support. Incidentally, your blog, Martin, has always struck me as a trend-bucker in this regard.

    I don't think we do ourselves any favours at all as an occupational group when we start blaming each other for not meeting the expectations we have imposed on situations. I have just, reluctantly and due to a wider set of circumstances, stepped down from the AAMoV Board. I can honestly say that there are people across NZ and Australia who have worked night and day over the past year to position AAMoV into a place of strength from which it can start to fly in 2012. Those people who have worked night and day, well they are actually volunteers, who do what they do out of pure passion, on top of full-time jobs, many other sector responsibilities, family commitments and everything else. What do they get? Criticism, usually. This group of committed individuals are actually some of the people working hardest to provide our field with opportunities and voices, yet they are the ones who cop so much flack. Just because you can't always see the work doesn't mean it's not there.

    I have also been privy this year to the wide array of local activities happening across NZ to celebrate IVM Day. There have been local media press releases, innovative and fun events at Volunteer Centres and VNZ, as well as producing a set of thought-provoking postcards specifically for IVM Day, is also running a daily celebratory blog between today and IV Day on 5 Dec. There are passionate people everywhere seeking to make a real difference. So maybe they don't get their particular effort ranking on page 1 of a Google search, so maybe they don't hit national media. What matters is they are doing it, taking initiative and getting on with it. Just because you might not see it, doesn't mean it's not there.

    So my plea is this: let's look for the good instead of pointing out the (often easier to see) bad. Let's take every little win and every good intention and see it as a shared victory to be supported. Let's recognise that turning round the Queen Mary, as someone compared the development of our field to the other day, is not going to happen overnight, but will be the result of many small actions and much time. I am not suggesting we get all fluffy-ducks on it and never push each other or ask the hard questions. What I am suggesting is that we put the best interests of the global group ahead of what sometimes looks to me like personal agenda, and ask those questions from a position of support and encouragement. Mock me if you will, but my experience (limited, granted, but going pretty well so far, thanks very much) is that people reach higher if you first see their efforts and achievements than if you only seek to highlight their weaknesses.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Someone much wiser than me once said:"Go from the presence of a foolish man, when you perceive not in him the lips of knowledge."

    I personally welcome criticism for it helps me improve myself, my work and relationships!

    However, in some cases, critical people are usually disheartened people who have failed to reach a desired goal. Someone else once said: "Criticism is the death gargle of a non achiever."

    There has never been a monument built to a critic.

    Critical people are 'disappointed' people. Disillusioned people. Unfocused people. They are often hurting inside. Some even build their life trying to destroy others...Move away from them, especially if they have no suggestions to remedy problems or issues raised by them; and especially if they are stuck in a rut and possess what I call is "the gift of misery."

    Don't get me wrong, debate is a marvellous arena. Conflict unlocks energy.

    However, there is a place, like this blog, to present facts, especially if Volunteering Australia says they are open to feedback and suggestions, but they have allowed pride, defensiveness and corporate deafness to dry like wet cement and become the norm...

    There is a time for exchange of information. Constructive suggestions are always pursued by Champions.

    There is also a time for silence...However, this is not one of those times.

    Criticism can be deadly...Correction can lead to life...Criticism is pointing out flaws... Correction is pointing out your potential and the potential of the organisation or sector.

    During this process, let's keep that in mind as we endeavour to move positively forward and make a difference!

    Happy International Volunteer Managers Day Colleagues!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hi Martin!

    It is serendipitous that you blogged on this topic and I thank you for putting into words so perfectly what I planned to write in my letter from the AAMoV (Australasian Association of Managers of Volunteers, previously known as AAVA) board to the VA board!

    You will be happy to note that I referenced your blog and requested that the VA board members read this feedback straight from Volunteer Managers and the sector themselves.

    I explained in my letter that since the cost was almost $2000.00 per person to attend, they would need to look at WHO was representing the voice of Volunteer Managers at these conferences.

    The majority of Volunteer Managers I have spoken to are just wanting the opportunity to attend a conference with other volunteer managers, to network and share knowledge. They would be more than happy to have a 'no frills' conference, without all of the bells and whistles, just for the opportunity to be there.

    Surely if the price was halved and the numbers were doubled, there would still be a benefit to running a conference for the benefit of Volunteering and Volunteer Managers.

    If the cost was less, who knows, maybe we could educate more people about the importance of strong Volunteer Management in Volunteer programs within our Community.

    AAMoV is proud to support VA in what ever way we can and believe that it is timely that honest feedback is given to ensure their success into the future.

    You would also be happy to hear that I have heard from VA and am meeting with a representative this Friday.

    It is sometimes not the voice of one that makes a difference, but the collective of lots of 'one's' saying the same thing that makes a difference.

    I do hope to post the full letter on the AAMoV website (http://www.aava.asn.au/) soon if readers would like to know more details of what was written.

    Yours in Volunteer Management,

    Karen Buenger
    President
    AAMoV - (previously known as AAVA)

    ReplyDelete
  28. Thank you Karen. Good luck with the meeting on Friday. We would love a report on it from yourself and/or Volunteering Australia.

    Thank you for quoting from me. As I was articulating the view of many people from emails and trainings they have attended with me, then I can comfortably say that there are a lot of people who have felt the same.

    If the outcomes can be a more accessible affordable conference for Australian volunteer managers that would be excellent. If at the same time, VA uses this opportunity to build relationships with the wider sector in Australia it seeks to represent, then that would be even better.

    ReplyDelete
  29. You have actually been really successful here, Martin – you have incited so much reaction, and you have made it impossible for VA to ignore this issue. That is an awesome achievement. They need to hear that the elite group who are attending their conferences and apparently providing great feedback are not the coalface target market that should be there. They are preaching to the already converted. And, as you say, you are not actually criticising conference content (that would be a whole new blog…), you are merely taking issue with the exorbitant cost.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Hi Martin and everyone else, I have been following and contributing (albeit anonymously [sorry still not confident enough to label….yet]) to your blob about VA and the conference. I’m not sure who is on the VA mailing list for the conference so I’ve posted this. I received this morning a recruitment email for the VA conference. One can only assume that they are still trying to get the numbers up, to be recruiting at this late hour does not fit well with a conference that is well attend? My understanding is it is still sitting at the 300ish mark. It would be interesting to know the makeup of this group...

    One other comment I would make, is if VA does listen to us as they say they do, then why after 4 years of commentary on their 'surveys' and comments from the conferences do we still not hear anything. I have a network of more than 30 volunteer managers, who too have submitted the same concerns in various ways to VA. Yet, still.... maybe I'm completely off the mark here, maybe it isn't VA's role to support, promote, educate, encourage, develop and loby for VMs. I'm happy to be wrong, but........

    ReplyDelete
  31. Good morning Martin,
    Firstly thanks for all the great work you do, after attending one of your workshops a couple of years ago I have great respect for what you do

    please add my comment to your blog anonymously, (organisation does not like comments of any kind!) with thanks.

    I agree with comments above - cost to attendees and to presenters, content needs for all etc etc.

    I also was very surprised at a comment made by Andy Fryer regarding the exhibit space not been given to organisations that directly have resources for Volunteer Managers/coordinators like data bases etc. I have wondered when attending these conferences why these companies have not had their resources there and it is one of the main reasons why I attend - finding ways to make the job easier, ways to meet standards etc etc. VA I am very disappointed to hear of this.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Hi Martin
    I need to post this anonymously. I would consider it immoral to spend $2000 of my employing NFP organisation's money to attend the VA National Conference. Even when the conference was in Melbourne last year, with no need for travel or accommodation costs for me, it was still way outside the budget of my organisation, and that of many other vol. managers I talked to.
    From coordinating a VM network of around 80 members, I have extremely high regard for VMs, especially their interest in learning and in sharing what they know and what works well - in other words, perfect conference participants. And we're grateful for the work that you and Andy and your consultancies do in supporting VMs to do things differently and/or better.

    ReplyDelete
  33. According to a Volunteering Australia Tweet, the number attending the conference is over 400:

    #VolAus11 More than 400 delegates hit the Gold Coast this week for the National Conference on Volunteering. Thank you for your support!

    ReplyDelete