twitter
    Find out what I'm doing, Follow Me :)

Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Facebook Privacy Notice- wasting your time

You may have seen a notice circulating on Facebook that starts something like this: *PRIVACY NOTICE: Warning--any person and/or institution and/or Agent and/or Agency of any governmental structure including but not limited to the United States Federal Government also using or monitoring/using this website or any of its associated websites, you do NOT have my permission to utilize any of my profile information nor any of the content contained herein including....

It ends:
"ALL RIGHTS RESERVED WITHOUT PREJUDICE  It is recommended that other members post a similar notice to this or you may copy and paste this one. Thank you. This is now a publicly traded site, Protect Yourself!


I have suggested how to spot spam on Facebook in a previous post but my comments on this one are:
  1. Discount anything with lots of capitals- every time!
  2. Facebook becoming a publicly traded company refers to their shares not your data
  3. Facebook have not suddenly changed their terms and conditions just because they are a public company
  4. Pasting your own Privacy Conditions on Facebook is meaningless. You do not own the site. You are covered by the Facebook Data Policy not your own. 
  5. When you post data onto Facebook, you are effectively saying that whoever has access to your Facebook page can use your posts in any way they choose. Having your own data policy does not stop that 
  6. Adding UCC 1-103 1-308 to make it look official is meaningless. The US Uniform Commercial Code has nothing to do with privacy or data issues and everything to do with US commercial law. Nor does reference to the Rome Statute or the Berner Convention
  7. a waste of your time reading or posting this warning


3 comments:

  1. Mashable has reported on this now http://mashable.com/2012/06/05/facebook-privacy-notice-fake/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Martin
    I found this really helpful - a friend of mine has recently added the privacy statement and suggested we all do the same. I wasn't sure what publicly traded would have to do with the privacy status, but this clears it up! At least I can stop worrying about whether I should add the statement or not now.

    Thank you
    Esme

    ReplyDelete