twitter
    Find out what I'm doing, Follow Me :)

Wednesday, December 12, 2012

It is time to re think Time

Too much volunteer advertising is around these premises
  •  “Do you have free time?
  • “Do you have some hours to spare?”
  • “Bored? Got free time?”

 NO NO NO

Who do you know that has free time? Do you have free time?Do you know any retirees with free time? Most say they are “busier than ever” How many young people really can say they have “free or spare time”?

Wrong premise. Wrong concept of people's time. Few people are wandering around thinking “I have so much spare time” because time is our most precious commodity.
When we ask people to volunteer, we are asking them to give up this most valuable thing.

We need to market volunteering and time differently and we need to make sure the experience they get for their time is rewarding. If your volunteer work os not rewarding, how will you attract people to it?


1 comment:

  1. One of the great frustrations of volunteering is when they don't work me enough.
    They are trying not to exploit me but it communicates instead that they don't get that I have a gazillion other things I could be doing.

    Your post reminded me of this confusion.

    ReplyDelete